Whether you are seasoned, or just starting on your saltwater fish’s journey. Saltwater aquariums are one of the most rewarding hobbies of any fish enthusiast.
No saltwater tank is complete without this amazing creature. But, just like purchasing any of your fishy friends you need to learn about what they need to live and thrive in your tank. I’ve provided a shortlist for you of five (5) beginner-friendly coral species, that will not only live up to their amazing expectations of grandeur but provide your fishy friends with natural hiding places.
5 beginner-friendly corals:
- Star Polyps (Pachyclavularia spp.)
This inexpensive and widely available perennial is a perfect first-time coral as it’s virtually indestructible.
- Leather Corals (Sarcophyton spp.)
This larger mushroom-shaped coral is a beautiful centerpiece for any reef tank.
- Bubble Coral (Plerogyra sinuosa)
This stony coral is among the most popular and the hardiest of the corals. As long as this coral doesn’t brush up against hard surfaces (as it will tear its delicate polyps), or in a direct water current, it’s maintenance-free.
- Trumpet Coral (Caulastrea furcata)
Wanting a bit of color in your saltwater tank? Then Trumpet coral is the perfect choice for you. This tough coral typically comes in hues of green and blue.
5.Open brain coral (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi)
This coral is one single, huge, fleshy polyp rather than several smaller collections. Its favorite places to sit are in the substrate of the tank and it doesn’t mind lower light levels. Making it a great option for those bare places.
When researching the species of saltwater corals for sale you’ll want to keep in mind these key components.
– Water flow – Some species of coral are sensitive to how fast the water moves around them
– Location – Delicate species of coral should be placed in locations were they will not be jarred around by active fish
– Water quality – each species of coral require specific water conditions in order to thrive.
–Lighting – To much light and you’ll scold your beautiful coral, not enough and they will not be able to survive.
6 best websites to find saltwater corals for sale:
- Austin Aqua Farms – www.austinaquafarms.com
– Located in Austin, Texas this coral farm offers the markets best coral.
- Great Ocean Wonders – www.greatoceanwonders.com
– They offer a huge selection of limited Edition, Rare and Exotic corals for sale.
- Saltwaterfish.com – Saltwaterfish.com
– Specializing in all types of coral from Small polyp stony (SPS), Large polyp stony (LPS), soft corals, Zoanthids, Gorgonians, Mushroom and “Frags” (Fragments of larger coral)
- Vivid Aquariums – vividaquariums.com
– They have not only coral but everything your hearts desire for saltwater aquariums.
- Salty Underground – saltyunderground.com
– Bringing you the highest quality live coral.
- AquaCorals – www.aquacorals.com
– The largest Tank raised soft coral aquaculture in the US.
Saltwater tanks, with regular care, are one of the most rewarding hobbies. But unlike their freshwater counterparts saltwater fish keeping is not only more expensive but also requires a strict maintenance regiment. If you are new to saltwater fish employing a saltwater expert will save you time, and money in the long run. They will help you pick out everything you need to fulfill your saltwater dreams, and make your tank the envoy of everyone in town.